top of page

Provisional Waiver I-601A

Certain immigrant visa applicants who are immediate relatives (spouses, children and parents) of U.S. citizens can apply for provisional unlawful presence waivers  before they leave the United States for their consular interview. 

Foreign nationals who are not eligible to adjust their status in the United States must travel abroad and obtain an immigrant visa. Individuals who have accrued more than 180 days of unlawful presence while in the United States must obtain a waiver of inadmissibility to overcome the unlawful presence bars under section 212(a)(9)(B) of the Immigration and Nationality Act before they can return. Typically, these foreign nationals cannot apply for a waiver until after they have appeared for their immigrant visa interview abroad, and a Department of State (DOS) consular officer has determined that they are inadmissible to the United States.

The provisional unlawful presence waiver process allows those individuals who are statutorily eligible for an immigrant visa (immediate relatives, family-sponsored or employment-based immigrants as well as Diversity Visa selectees); who only need a waiver of inadmissibility for unlawful presence to apply for that waiver in the United States before they depart for their immigrant visa interview.

This new process was developed to shorten the time that U.S. citizens and lawful permanent resident family members are separated from their relatives while those relatives are obtaining immigrant visas to become lawful permanent residents of the United States.

The expansion of the provisional unlawful presence waiver process does not affect the continued availability of the Form I-601 process: Individuals who do not wish to seek or do not qualify for a provisional unlawful presence waiver can still file Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility, after a DOS consular officer determines that they are inadmissible to the United States.

This is a partial list of the documents you will need:

Esta es una lista parcial de los documentos que necesitara:


Affidavit of Support- Invoice from the NVC for $120 (voided check)

Contrato de Manutención – NVC cobra $120 – (cheque anulado)

Immigrant Visa Application- Invoice from the NVC for $325.00- voided check

Aplicación de Visa de Residencia – la factura de NVC de $325.00 (cheque anulado)


DECLARATIONS /Declaraciones 

Applicant/ Aplicante                                                                                                      

Qualifying Member/ Peticionario                                                                                             

U.S. Citizen Children/ de los hijos estadounidense                                            



Proof Qualifying Relative legal status/ Evidencia de status legal                                  

Birth Certificate of Qualifying Member/acta de nacimiento del peticionario          

Birth Certificate of Applicant/ acta de nacimiento del aplicante                   

Copy of Marriage Certificate/ acta de matrimonio                                                             

Copy of Birth Certificate for Children/ acta de nacimiento de los hijo        

Copy of Divorce Certificate (if applicable)/ si aplica acta de divorcio                          


 RELOCATION HARDSHIP/ Dificultades de reubicación


Photos of the town in Mexico where you would live/ Fotos de la ciudad

o pueblo donde viviria en Mexico

House/ Casa                                                                                                      

Neighborhood/ del barrio                                                                            

Schools/ Escuelas                                                                                            

Hospitals/ Hospitales                                                                                     

Affidavits from relatives in Mexico speaking of state conditions/                

Declaracion jurada de familiars en Mexico que hablen de las condiciones del pais


FINANCIAL HARDSHIP/ dificultades financieras


Taxes (3 yrs)/ impuestos de los ultimos 3 años                                                   

Income/ ingreso (ultimos 6 cheques)                                                                     

Letter from Employer/ carta del empleador                                                                                        

Joint Bank Statements/ cuentas bancarias juntas                                                             

Health Insurance declarations/ aseguranza de salud                                        

Life Insurance declarations/ aseguranza de vida                                                 

Grant deed/ escrituras de propiedad o contrato de arrendamiento          

Other applicable Financial Hardship/ otras dificultades financieras            


Evidence of all monthly expenses/ evidencia de todos los gastos mensuales

-Rent (renta)                                                                                                      

-Utilities (Gastos de Utilidades)                                                  

-Telephone ( Telefono)                                                                  

-Electric (electricidad, SDG&E)                                                    

-Trash (Basura)                                                                                  

-Water (Agua)                                                                                    

-Food (comida)                                                                                                  

-Gas (Gasolina)                                                                                                  

-Medical Bills (gastos médicos)                                                                   

-Credit Card Bills (pagos de tarjetas de crédito)                    

-Clothes (Ropa)                                                                                                 



EDUCATIONAL / Educacion Para el peticionario y el aplicante


Children’s School documents/transcripts/ documentos escolares de hijos     

School transcripts (spouse)/Transcripciones de la escuela para el conyuge   

Certificates of Achievements/ certificados de logros                                          

Graduation Diplomas/ diplomas de graduaciones                                                             

School ID cards  / identificaciones escolares                                                           

Plans to enroll in school/ planes de inscribirse a la escuela                              




Medical Records/ registro médicos                                                                          

Psychological Evaluation (if applicable)/ evaluación psicológica                   

Spiritual / spiritual                                                                                                          



Letters of recommendation/ cartas de recomendaciones                                              

FBI Records (if applicable)/ Registro de FBI                                                           

Church Record (includes marriage certificate)/ Registro de la iglesia         

Family pictures/ fotos familiares                                                                                              

Certificate of Achievements/ certificados de logros     


SPECIAL CONSIDERATION/ Consideraciones especiales

DD214 (if honorably discharged from military)/ registro militar                   

Certificates of Merits (for military if applicable)/ logros                                  

COUNTRY CONDITIONS REPORT  / Reporte de las Condiciones del País    

Approximate Fees

Preparing Forms ~$1,000

Spouse 1 Declaration ~$250

Spouse 2 Declaration ~$250

Research and supporting evidence for hardships ~$300

Translation of 3 birth certificates, marriage certificate and up to 5 letters ~$500

I-601A Brief ~$2,000

Total Office Fee ~$4,000

Immigration Fees $715.00

Call Us Now at: (760) 542-6687

Hablamos Español

bottom of page